Monday, September 9, 2013

3rd Email: 2nd Week in Salem

Hello!
Where to begin...this week has kind of been forever long, but it's flown by at the same time (let's be honest, ever since I entered the MTC it's been like that).  Sister Tuckett and I are still just trying to feel out the area and get to know people, but the work is moving right along. I feel like we've been led certain places to talk to certain people, even though it doesn't seem like we've had a lot of success. There have been a few people that have talked to us for a while on their porch or even let us in, and they tell us they're not interested or something along those lines, but most of the time when I walk away from the house it feels like a success. I don't know why! Like the other day we talked to this lady who was raised in the church, but she's been going to a Pentacostal (I have no idea how to spell that) church for 22 years. I guess her parents were super strict and she felt forced to do a lot of things in the church, and she was actually taught some false doctrine. She told us that she refused to believe that all the good people around here who go to different churches can't go to the celestial kingdom because they aren't Mormons. We immediately explained to her that that's not true at all, and we talked for a while about other things, but by the end of our little porch chat she expressed to us that she's just not that interested. While we were walking away though, I just felt like even though our visit didn't seem too successful, I think we did some good. Maybe we planted a seed or sparked a long extinguished flame...I don't know! But really, that's kind of how my whole time has been out here. No obvious or super visible successes, but I think those will just come with time. Of course, I am super excited about these people we met yesterday. Their names are B-- and C--, and they met with the Elders in our area about a month ago, but then they moved or something, and just kind of went off the radar. Brother T-- from our ward, however, knows where they live, so he gave us their address and we went to introduce ourselves. So I don't think either of them are members of any church, but B-- has been really trying to find the right church for him. He's gone to a bunch of different churches and researched a lot of things on the internet, and that's how he came across our church. Oh, and did I mention that he read the Book of Mormon before he even met the Elders? Twice?? Yeah! Super cool! Super Elect! Anyway, we asked them if they'd be interested in learning more about our church and they said yes, so we're going back on Saturday. I'm really excited to teach about the restoration because B-- will totally be able to relate to Joseph Smith and it'll just be awesome. And I can't wait to ask him what he thinks about the Book of Mormon. He read it twice! Ah. So awesome.
Well, not too much else exciting is going on... Well unless you count the fact that I'm being eaten alive by mosquitoes. I think I counted 25 bites yesterday....yeah! Fun stuff! (Yes, Dad, I have heard of bug spray, and I think we even have some, but I never think about it until I'm already out the door and it's too late. Maybe I'll learn someday) Oh, speaking of bugs! The other day we walked up to this house that kind of looked a little rugged...long grass, spiderwebs and dead bugs all over the porch...it kind of looked vacant. I don't know. Anyway, I rang the doorbell and turned my head to look at the yard or something, and when I glanced back at the door, there were ants crawling out of the doorbell!! Since when do ants live in doorbells?? Could've been worse, I guess, but really, I felt like I was in a scary movie or something.
Well, I love you all! Take....luck!
~Sister Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment