Tuesday, November 12, 2013

11th Email: 11th Week in Salem

Okay, this last week was Ca-razy. Just crazy! It started out fairly normal, but when Tuesday hit, the craziness started. Okay, it wasn't that crazy, but anyways, on Tuesday Sister Pitt (Mission president's wife) called and told Sister Tuckett they needed her to spend a few days in Christiansburg (which is about 30 minutes away) because the sisters there were struggling. I'm thinking, okay, I guess this is good... Sister Habibpour and I will have a little taste of what it will be like when Sister Tuckett goes home. Um...nope! JK! on Wednesday, Sister Tuckett called and said, "Hey, I'm getting emergency transferred to Christiansburg today. I'll come home around 6 to pack up my things and go." Whaa? So crazy. Sister Tuckett goes home next week and she just got transferred. Didn't see that coming! Needless to say, the next couple of days were a little more stressful than usual. I mean, of course I knew Sister Tuckett would be leaving, but I just thought I still had two weeks to prepare for it. But it's all good! Sister Habibpour and I just took it in stride. Or at least we tried to! Technically, Sister Tuckett was still training me, because I still have another week of the training program. I guess I'll just have to train myself while I finish training Sister Habibpour! No big deal haha.
 
Anyways, it actually turned out to be a pretty good week, and I learned a lot. One thing I learned is that everything about missionary work all boils down to agency. I can teach and teach and teach, and the spirit can testify of what I teach, but unless the person I teach chooses to accept it, they can't be converted. We taught S-- F-- this week (one of our investigators whose husband is a member), and this was confirmed to me. S-- is active in another church, and she has some very firm beliefs, but she is very friendly and lets us come teach her in hopes that her questions about our church will be answered. Lately, we've been really focusing on the Book of Mormon. She has a bunch of questions about things like the priesthood, temple sealings, and endowments, and we have tried to explain to her that she first needs a foundation before she will really understand those things. When we saw her last, we talked more about the Book of Mormon, and we read 1 Nephi 1 with her, because she has refused to touch the Book of Mormon. Anyways, long story short (too late), it seemed like everything was going really well, and I really felt guided by the spirit in what I said...I shared some of Alma 32 with her and asked her to just give the Book of Mormon a chance before she rejects it. I felt like I had said everything I needed to, and that she would finally say, "okay, I'll try it," but she didn't. After all that she still said she wouldn't read it. 2 Nephi 33:1 says that the Holy Ghost will carry truth unto the hearts of the children of men. Unto. Not into. The truth can only touch their hearts if they use their agency and open their heart to it. That's the only way it'll work! haha and it's frustrating! But I know that that's how it's supposed to be.
 
Oh, so the other day we met this guy named G-- R--. He investigated the church a little bit about 8 years ago, and he is pretty much the nicest guy. And he LOVES history. he's 63, and he came out and talked to us on his porch for about an hour, mostly about a bunch of random history facts he knows. We played off of a lot of what he was saying and tried to connect it to the Book of Mormon (like Christopher Columbus being mentioned), and he seemed pretty interested! He said he'd add it to his stack of 20 books that he is currently reading. haha great! Maybe he'll get around to it someday. Just a few minutes before we left his house, our phone rang. He didn't hear it, so we just ignored it, and when we got into the car and checked it, it was a member of our ward, Sister Welcker. Apparently she had talked to Sister Tuckett about having dinner at their house that night, but Sister Tuckett forgot to tell us, and now she's in Christiansburg, of course! So we went to dinner anyways, even though we were 45 minutes late. Meh! What can ya do?
Well, I love you all very much, and I hope you have a fantastic week. (And I love you, random citizen!)
 
Love,
Sister Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment