Monday, June 23, 2014

42nd Email: 7th Week in Milton

HEY Y'ALL!!

Okay. I don't even know where to start today. The past week has been so awesome!! Wait, it's been... flurendicularly zippendipidous! (My companion and I realized that we say "awesome" way to often, so we've been creating a new vocabulary to shake things up.) I guess I'll start with my companion. Her name is Sister Boldrin, and she is just fantastic. She is the most enthusiastic, energetic, loving, kind, bold, positive, crazy missionary I have ever met! Working with her has been so much fun! And we have seen SO many miracles. We've decided that our area is basically Disneyland, because it's where the magic happens. I wish I had time to talk about everything that has happened, but I'll share a few of the highlights.

We have been really focusing on trying to talk to everyone everywhere about the gospel, and we have met some super cool people. It's really interesting to see Heavenly Father's handiwork unfold too. On Wednesday, for example, we were driving back from someone's house, and Sister Boldrin asked if we could stop somewhere and get some Ibuprofen because she had a headache. We just happened to be right by a Family Dollar, so we went in, and as we were checking out, we started talking to the cashier, who was basically the nicest, most chill guy ever! He thought the Book of Mormon and the Restoration sounded really interesting and wants to meet with us this next week to learn more! Later that day, we were walking past the park, and we saw a guy sitting on a bench. He was a little out of our way, but we redirected our course and walked up to him. His immediate response to an invitation to learn was that he was atheist and religion wasn't really his thing. We asked him why he felt that way, and then he opened up a little bit more, and the conversation just flowed until all of a sudden we were testifying of the knowledge and peace that comes from knowing God and reading the Book of Mormon. We talked to him for about 45 minutes, and towards the end we talked about prayer. We gave him an example of a prayer and asked him to try saying a prayer, and he did! It was the most humble and honest prayer I have ever heard, and the spirit was so strong. It reminded me of the first prayer of King Lamoni's father in Alma 22 when he says, "O God, Aaron hath told me that there is a God; and if there is a God, and if thou art God, wilt thou make thyself known unto me." He got pretty emotional in his prayer as he spoke of the trials he's experienced in his life, and I hope he felt God's love as strongly as I did!

Sometimes in order to see miracles we have to be humbled! On Wednesday night Sister Boldrin and I were walking home talking about how incredible the day was and how beautiful the fireflies were, and as we walked up to the door I opened up my bag and my heart skipped a beat. I asked Sister Boldrin if she had the keys, even though I knew she didn't because I had been carrying them all that day. I must have left them inside when we came home for dinner. So, we called the landlord, and luckily he was super nice about it and came right over to unlock our door. We felt really embarrassed, so we gave him a big chocolate bar that was sitting on our counter to say thank you. It wasn't too bad... I mean this kind of thing happens to the best of us, right? Just wait. It gets better. On Saturday Sister Boldrin and I were once again walking home after a long day that might not have been as great as the last few days because most of our plans fell through, but we were still positive and happy! We were a little bummed because we had prayed for a new investigator that day, and we had diligently worked all day trying to find someone, but alas! It was 9:00 and time to head home. Sister Boldrin walks up to the door, turns the knob, I look in my bag and say, "Sister Boldrin...please don't hate me..." Yup. The keys were inside. We just laughed. Sufficiently humbled, I called the landlord again, who was still so incredibly kind and understanding. While we were waiting for him to come, I said to Sister Boldrin, "Well, we're out of chocolate. I guess we'll have to give him a Book of Mormon!" And we did! We ended up having a great discussion, and he asked a lot of questions. He was fascinated! He left excited to read the Book of Mormon and to learn more. And we just floated inside with dazed looks on our faces and thanked Heavenly Father for the miracle. Did Heavenly Father put blinders on our eyes when we walked out the door so we would forget to grab the keys? I like to think so.

Brother Maynard has been to church for the third week in a row. He's back for good. :) He also came to our fireside at Brother Perry's house, which was awesome. We watched the Mormon message "Lessons I Learned as a Boy," and talked about the relationship between love and sacrifice. We talked about God's love, Christ's love, the love we have felt from other people, and how we can show more love. It all has to do with sacrifice! We can sacrifice our time, energy, money, thoughts, and especially pride to show our love. We had a great discussion.

Whelp, the church is true, people! God is a god of miracles, and his joy comes from our joy. Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven. Faith comes by righteousness, and it just keeps growing and growing forever! Serving the Lord is the most intelligent thing to do. It brings the most joy, and it's just fun when you do it right! Ah. I love it.

So this is a little random, but we always get a Missionary Truth in our weekly email from the Pitts, and I really liked the one for today. President Pitt’s Missionary Truth: “The same boiling water that hardens the egg will soften the carrot. It all depends on the individual’s particular reaction to stressful circumstances.”

Love you all! Have a great week!

Love,
Sister Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment