Wednesday, October 1, 2014

54th Email: Heart Might Mind AND Strength

"For behold, the field is white already to harvest; and IT IS THE ELEVENTH HOUR, and the last time that I shall call laborers into my vineyard." Something that motivates me throughout the day is to ask myself the question, "if today was that last day you could be a missionary, what would you want to do?" Missionary work is hard work, and sometimes I just want to sit down and rest, but if today was my last day to wear my name tag, I would want to get out and knock on every door in West Virginia until I either ran out of doors or daylight. I'd want to be out the apartment door no later than 10:00 am and come home no earlier than 9:00 pm. I'd want to be exhausted at the end of the day and have the knowledge that I gave the Lord everything I had. I need to put my whole heart, might, mind, and strength into every single day. It can't wait until tomorrow, because tomorrow is always a day away! Today is the day for miracles to happen. Why wait?


I was reading in 2 Nephi the other day, and I realized that I have never payed attention to the context of Nephi's psalm in chapter 4. Most people are pretty familiar with Nephi's humble cry to the Lord in verses 17-35. I don't think this is just a seemingly random self reflection for Nephi. In the verses prior, Lehi gives words of love and counsel to his sons, and then he passes away. Lehi was Nephi's father, so of course that would be tough on him, but Lehi was also the prophet. Guess who is the prophet now? Nephi! I can't imagine the weight of the responsibilities of being the prophet, but as Nephi contemplated his new calling, he probably had a lot on his mind! I'm sure he, as most of us do, felt inadequate for the task ahead, not to mention the fact that after Lehi dies, Nephi still has to deal with the rejection of his wayward brothers. Now he doesn't even have his father's shoulder to lean on. While Nephi recognizes his weaknesses, he doesn't get too down on himself. He knows in whom he has trusted, and he looks forward to the future in faith. I love Nephi!


My testimony of the Holy Ghost grew this week. I know that the Holy Ghost can bring things to our remembrance, even things that you didn't realize you should have payed attention to as they happened. I went on exchanges to Buckhannon, WV this week with Sister Reed. When I served in Morgantown several months ago, I went to Buckhannon for exchanges twice, so I was excited to be in the area again. As Sister Reed and I were planning for the day, my mind went back to a woman and her son whom I had met on a past exchange. I couldn't remember their names, so I flipped through the area book hoping something would spark my memory. And it did! I found their teaching records and explained who they were to Sister Reed. I had met them with Sister Scarff about 6 months ago, and we picked them up as new investigators. According to their teaching record, there hadn't been much follow-up, and they didn't even have an exact address. It just said the name of the trailer park they live in. I had a super vague image in my mind of her trailer, but I really had no idea. We called a member and got directions to the trailer park, and as we were driving through the park the Holy Ghost totally just took over. I was able to remember where the trailer was, what way it was facing, and as we drove past it I was able to pick it out. I had no idea what I was looking for, but when I saw it, I knew that was the one. We ended up going inside and teaching the woman, who is still interested, and while we were teaching, her brother, his girlfriend, and her daughter walked in and joined the conversation. The spirit was very strong, and they all said they want to learn more and come to church.

Heavenly Father knows his children and he never forgets any of them!

Who watched the General Women's Conference?? Wasn't it so great?? Ah! I love the spirit! 

Love ya, have a blessed day.


Love,
Sister Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment