Thursday, December 4, 2014

62nd Email: Myers and Tobler Unite!

Baaahhh!!!!! Have you ever felt like your heart was ripped in half and you wished you could just move everyone that you love into a 5 mile radius from you and never leave or let them leave?? Yeah. Basically that's how I feel. It's transfer week already, and it's time for me to leave Fairmont! Ah, I never imagined how much I would come to love this place and the people here. It's so hard to leave! I'm grateful for the opportunity I have had to serve here. It definitely has a special place in my heart. So I'm sad that I'm leaving Fairmont, a bit flustered because I thought I was going to stay, happy because I got to know all these people, excited to go to Lexington, Virginia to serve with Sister Tobler (One of my super good friends from high school!!! When does that ever happen??), and overall I feel peaceful because I know that Heavenly Father is in charge and has something great in store. Ron Weasley was pretty close when he said, "One person couldn't possibly feel all that at once. They'd explode!"

I know that I was meant to serve in Fairmont, West Virginia. There have been so many instances that have confirmed that to me, but there is one experience that stands out in my mind specifically. This experience actually starts about 7 months ago when I served in Morgantown, which is about 30 miles north of Fairmont. Sister Christensen and I met this awesome man named Chris Grant, who grasped onto the gospel so quickly and was baptized soon after we met him. Sadly, we both got transferred right before his baptism, but we knew he would be taken care of in Morgantown. I heard from him once while I was in my next area, and from the sound of things, he wasn't doing too good. He still had a strong testimony, but he had moved to Fairmont (his hometown) and hadn't gone to church since he had been there. He kept in contact with the Morgantown missionaries at first, but his contact with them started to dwindle until it ceased completely. He didn't know the missionaries or members of the church in Fairmont, and he just kept to himself while he tried to figure out some difficult details of his life. So fast forward...I got transferred to Fairmont 3 months ago, and I was basically the only person who knew he was here! None of the other missionaries or members had any idea. He was a bit difficult to get a hold of for a while because he really just wanted to figure things out on his own, but finally, my companion and I were able to meet with him. After our last meeting, he thanked us and decided it was time for him to stop secluding himself and to reach out for help. He's planning on coming to church and getting back the relationship he had found with God. Was it coincidence that I came to Fairmont at the time I did? Would Chris have totally fallen through the cracks if Heavenly Father hadn't sent me here? Who knows? "Behold, great and marvelous are the works of the Lord. How unsearchable are the depths of the mysteries of him; and it is impossible that man should find out all his ways (Jacob 4:8)."

Love ya! Have a splendid week. I'll give you my new address once I get to Virginia. :)

Love,
Sister Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment