Monday, September 22, 2014

53rd Email: The Lord Works in Mysterious Ways

What a fantastic week! This church is true and I love being a missionary.

On Tuesday we went to a woman's house because we had an appointment to do some service for her. We were all dressed down in jeans and a t-shirt, but when we knocked on the door she wasn't home! We brought our skirts with us so we could just change at her house after doing some yard work, but obviously, we found ourselves needing somewhere else to change clothes. We were in a super small town called Rivesville (which apparently used to possibly be called Riverville because it's right next to a river, but somehow got written down wrong over the years or something), and we didn't have a lot of options, so we went to the nearest gas station. No one was in the gas station except for the cashier, so while Sister Whitaker was in the bathroom changing I was able to talk to her a little bit, and then Sister Whitaker talked to her while I was in the bathroom, and she turned out to be pretty great! She grew up Methodist, but hasn't been to church in a while because she works every Sunday, and she said we could come by her house any day! So yesterday we went back and had an awesome first lesson with her. We invited her to be baptized and she said she has never been baptized but wants to so she can be saved. We gave her a Book of Mormon, and she said that she always sees things like this as a sign from God (random people coming up to her and talking about God or praying with her). Sometimes the Lord works in mysterious ways! Sometimes he makes sure our appointment isn't home so we have to go to a gas station to change clothes so we can meet someone who is ready to learn about the gospel!

Zach was baptized on Saturday, and it was beautiful. He was so ready, and the Fairmont Ward has been so supportive. There were a lot of people at his baptism, and there were actually quite a few rowdy kids during the talks, and it was pretty distracting, but you could tell it didn't bother him. He has gotten to know most of the the families in the ward pretty well, so he knows most of the little kids. It's almost like they are his little brothers and sisters. He got up during Sacrament Meeting after he was confirmed and bore a powerful testimony. He knows this church is true.

One of my favorite things about seeing people receive the gospel and join the church is pondering what the future holds for them. Zach has so much to look forward to! He'll get the priesthood soon, and a patriarchal blessing, he'll go on a mission, get married in the temple, raise a family in the church, read the Book of Mormon over and over, and just keep growing for the rest of his life! I know that the gospel blesses individuals and families, and I am grateful for how it has blessed mine.

Sometimes being a missionary is hard. You meet people who hate the church, have been misguided by anti-Mormon information, think you're trying to manipulate them, or have just had a really bad day and you get the brunt of it! Most of the time I don't let it phase me, but every once in a while my heart just breaks as I walk away from a door. It's hard because I know that this church really is true, and every single person I talk to would benefit so much from a testimony of the gospel. Sometimes I have to remind myself that Heavenly Father knows everyone's heart, and me knocking on their door is definitely not the only chance they will have to receive the gospel.

On a lighter note, there are so many people who are ready to receive the gospel! Just this last week we met several soft-hearted, open-minded people. I know that Heavenly Father knows and loves all of his children.

Love,
Sister Myers

P.S. My new address is 25 Murray Ave #3 Fairmont, WV 26554
P.P.S. So I guess I picked the computer that won't let me attach pictures. Shoot...

No comments:

Post a Comment