Monday, January 13, 2014

20th Email: 2nd Week in Morgantown

Ah! This week was so good! So many good things are going on, and I love it here in Morgantown. I've heard that this is the coveted area to serve in the mission, and now I'm starting to understand why. It's so fun.

So the week started out a little slow, just because the students weren't back yet from the break. Also, it was super cold. The high on Tuesday was probably around 5 degrees. And...our pipes froze! No indoor plumbing for us! Haha that was an adventure. It wasn't too bad though. They were only frozen for a couple of days. It was funny though, because the last night they were frozen, we decided to just spend the night at the other sisters' place so we could shower over there in the morning, and guess whose pipes froze that night? Yup! So the four of us had to go to the OTHER sisters' apartment in Morgantown (There are a lot of missionaries in Morgantown) and use their shower.

On Tuesday Sister Larkin and I taught at our Zone meeting with the Zone Leaders. It was so good! We talked about the sons of Mosiah and why they were so successful and happy as missionaries, and then the Zone Leaders talked about the army of Helaman. Then we went into the gym and played a sweet game of toilet paper dodgeball! One team was the stripling warriors and the other was the Lamanites. Before the game started, we gave everyone on the Lamanite team a handicap that represented some form of disobedience (i.e. one missionary slept in late, so he had to be blind folded for the whole game. He wanted to keep his eyes closed anyway!). After the game, we sat in a circle, had a couple missionaries share their testimonies, and Sister Larkin and I sang a hymn to invite the Spirit. Then Sister Larkin and I taught from a talk called "The Fourth Missionary." It was so great! It talks about how there are four kinds of missionaries. The first two are disobedient; the first goes home early, but the second stays for the full 2 years or 18 months. The third and fourth missionaries are both obedient, but the difference is the third missionary hasn't given the Lord his heart. He has only given the Lord his might and strength. The fourth missionary has given the Lord his heart, might, mind, and strength. We talked about how the only missionary who is truly happy is the fourth missionary. The second, third, and fourth missionary all give up 2 years of their lives, but only the fourth missionary is happy about it. We need to want what the Lord wants. The talk says, "you can't be happy unless you WANT to do the things that lead to happiness, even if you do those very things." Let that really sink in. Being an obedient missionary is something that leads to happiness, but third missionary doesn't really want to be obedient, so how can he be happy doing it? It just makes sense! Anyway, that talk is really, really good, and I can't do it justice by summarizing a few points, so go read it!

On Friday the whole mission gathered in Sissonville, WV to hear from Elder S. Gifford Nielsen. Exclamation point! (Normally we would have gone to Charleston, but the Charleston church building is under renovation). It was so good! It was really cool to have the whole mission together and to see all the friends I've made so far. (There are around 225 missionaries in my mission). Anyways, Elder Nielsen was great. He's really funny too. He talked about a lot of really great things, and I wish I had time to talk about it all, but just know that it was great! He went into a little more depth about the story of the missionary who worked so hard and had really tattered shoes at the end of his mission, and his stake president had the shoes bronzed as a memorial. He ended his talk by challenging us to look at our lives, and if there is anything amiss, fix it now! My time as a missionary is precious, and I can't waste a minute of it. When else will my life ever be so simple? Right now it's just me and the Savior. It was really cool because Elder Nielsen talked about a lot of the same things that we taught at our zone meeting. Man, this was just the perfect way to start the new year. Awesome zone meeting, awesome general authority address... It hit me the other day that, this year is pretty much it for me. After 2014 is over, I only have about a month before I go home. This is it! I need to make 2014 the best year, because it's all I have. Kinda crazy to think about. 18 months really is not very much time at all. Tomorrow is my 5 month mark! Ah. So anyways, I just want to do my best for the Lord. This is His time, not mine, and I don't want to waste it.

Love,

Sister Melissa Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment