Monday, January 27, 2014

22nd Email: 4th Week in Morgantown

What a beautiful day! The sun is shining, the snow is melting, and the church is true. I'm so grateful to be a missionary, because I knew the church was true before I came here, but out here it's all I think about all day, every day. I love thinking and talking about the gospel all day. Recently, the words to a primary hymn have been stuck in my head, and they have meant a lot more to me now than when I sang them for fun in primary. "I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I know who I am. I know God's plan. I'll follow Him in faith! I believe in the Savior, Jesus Christ. I'll honor His name! I'll do what is right. I'll follow His light. His truth I will proclaim!"
 
So we had a great lesson the other day with T-. We watched the three mormon messages with Elder Bednar called "Patterns of Light," and we discussed each video. They talk about the light of Christ and the Holy Ghost, and how we are guided. We talked about how sometimes God doesn't lead us by the hand as much as we'd like Him to because He trusts us and wants us to make our own decisions. At one point, we were talking about the atonement, and I drew an analogy on the white board that I learned from a great mission prep teacher once upon a time... I drew a pit that represented physical death and a pit that represented spiritual death. It is only because of Jesus Christ that we will not be stuck in these pits forever. I drew a bridge over the physical death pit, and explained that because of Christ's resurrection, we will all be resurrected, no matter what. We don't have to do anything to deserve this. It'll just happen. Then I drew 5 stairs leading out of the spiritual death pit. These stairs represent faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. Christ has provided a way for us to overcome spiritual death. It's called the gospel of Jesus Christ. The lesson went really well. Later that night, she texted us and said, "It seems like every night that I read it's about something we talked about, 2 Corinthians 7:10 is what Sister Myers said about the stairs, and 7:16 is the part about God trusting me to choose..." It was so sweet! I was thinking about it, and if Heavenly Father wanted T- to read those verses, He totally could have inspired us to find them during our personal study and share them with her, but how much more meaningful was it for her to find them on her own?? Ah. Heavenly Father is so cool.
 
Whelp! Have a great week everybody! I love you! :)
 
Love,
Sister Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment